Thursday, July 17, 2008

Daddy and Luke ride to Cubby!

The fog was so thick you could see the moisture in the air as you glanced around in the sub zero temperatures! But I was determined to ride Luke to his daycare ('Cubby') in the city while Judy was at home to look after Cameron (thus I had a lighter load in the Christiania). Here you see us as we were about to begin our journey, all rugged up, Luke with the map, headlights on and prepared for our great adventure -
And it was an interesting ride! Emergency vehicles went screaming past (much to Luke's delight!) and a few minutes later here is the scene we came across -

My guess is the van on its side came from the right hand side of the picture (which is down hill) and had to take evasive action to avoid a car/s stopped at the roundabout. Note the two sets of skid marks on the traffic island which would seem to indicate his trajectory! Luke was fascinated by all the action especially as when we rode off the emergency vehicles left this scene and went past us again on their way no doubt to yet another accident. Luke even got a toot of their horn and a wave as they went past!

The trip to Cubby is 12.39km and took 52 minutes of actual 'ride' time (average speed 14.08km/h). Actual elapsed time was more like 1 hour and 10 minutes as we stopped at lights and accident scenes and I got lost once and had to consult the map. On the way home (when empty but uphill!) the ride time was 1 hour and 3 minutes so average speed down to 11.7km/h. I also went a bit slower on the way home trying to find a gear button that fell off on my way to cubby! (no luck!)

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Great photo! I love the headlights. Magnetic, are they? Who makes em? I wonder if I could get a pair in the US? Also like the cupholder.

Aaron, Sam, Cameron and Luke said...

Yes magnetic. Any camping store should have them. This is something similar -

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21216

They are sold with a metal plate that goes on the outside of the tent and the light attaches on the inside by way of the strong magnets. Obviously don't need the metal plate for the bike and I also put some velcro on the light and bike frame just to make sure they don't bounce off. They stick on great and you actually need some effort to get them off.

The cupholder came from local bike shop - normal water bottle cage but it attaches to a special bracket. I'll email you a close up!